At the heart of Greenwich Hospital’s Greenwich Estate and fronting on the River Thames is the land originally transferred to the first Greenwich Hospital Commissioners pursuant to the Royal Charter of 1694 by which Greenwich Hospital was founded. This, with other land acquired subsequently, forms the site of the historic Greenwich Hospital buildings and the nucleus of the Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site.
Greenwich Hospital subsequently acquired the site of much of what is now the commercial centre of Greenwich surrounding the Market area. The Hospital also owns the Promenade at Greenwich Pier.
To the east of the Old Royal Naval College buildings Greenwich Hospital owns a number of core residential premises in Park Row, Eastney Street and Crane Street.
The historic Christopher Wren, Inigo Jones and Nicholas Hawksmore Buildings are let on 150 year lease and are in turn occupied principally by the University of Greenwich and Trinity Laban College of Music. The buildings formerly known as Dreadnought Seaman’s Hospital and Devonport Nurses’ Home are let for a similar long term direct to the University of Greenwich. Greenwich Promenade is let on a long term lease to the Port of London Authority. The remainder of the properties in the centre of Greenwich are chiefly retail and residential and form the major element of the property investment portfolio.